Job Opening - Director of Equity and Inclusion
Reports to: President
Full-time, calendar year employee. Start date: August 2023
Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School seeks a talented and passionate professional to serve in this leadership role for the school. The Director of Equity and Inclusion will be the lead agent in the school’s work toward its vision of being an equitable and inclusive community, which is a key strategic priority for the school and which aligns with our Jesuit mission.
Our history in the Indianapolis community and our approach have blessed us with a diverse community which we actively seek to build and support. Brebeuf Jesuit is a Catholic and Jesuit school which is inclusive of students, faculty and staff of all faith traditions and backgrounds. We share dialogue on issues of faith, with the convictions that God can be found in all things, and that preparing students for a healthy society includes a foundation of mutual respect as well as understanding of one’s own beliefs and values.
“Jesuit schools should be places where people are believed in, honored and cared for; where the natural talents and creative abilities of persons are recognized and celebrated; where individual contributions and accomplishments are appreciated; where everyone is treated fairly and justly; where sacrifice on behalf of the economically poor, the socially deprived, and the educationally disadvantaged is commonplace; where each of us finds the challenge, encouragement and support we need to reach our fullest individual potential for excellence; where we help one another and work together with enthusiasm and generosity, attempting to model concretely in word and action the ideals we uphold for our students and ourselves.” (The International Center for Jesuit Education: Jesuit Pedagogy: A Practical Approach.) The Director of Equity & Inclusion will play a key role in building and sustaining a school culture which meets this vision for Jesuit education.
- Participate in school leadership group structures as needed, such as our Leadership Team, Academic Department Chairs, Admissions Committee, and others, to create, monitor, and guide strategies for equity & inclusion.
- Lead committees of faculty, staff, parents, alumni, Board etc, as a forum for input, discussion & action.
- Gather school data and prepare reports (e.g. student performance, student/faculty demographics) that measure effectiveness and assess needs.
- Monitor and support the development of an inclusive and positive school climate, including the implementation of annual school climate surveys.
Professional Development and Curriculum Development
- Develop and lead regular professional development programming for faculty & staff.
- Serve as an instructional leader for the school’s faculty through classroom observations, teacher training, coaching conversations, and collaboration.
- Partner with teachers, counselors and other staff for support and guidance on efforts for curriculum and program development to support the representation of diverse viewpoints and a program which supports all students.
Recruitment and Retention
- Support the recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty & staff, working closely with the Director of Human Resources.
- Travel regionally to attend job fairs and to work with college/university career placement staff to develop networks for a pipeline of prospective faculty/staff. Participate in hiring processes such as interviews and selection committees.
- Work with the Admissions office on the recruitment of diverse prospective students and families. Represent and promote Brebeuf Jesuit at events for prospective parents.
- Provide various types of support for students & families, and partner with other staff to develop systems & programming to aid in their success, especially in transition into Brebeuf.
Student Leadership and Internal Support
- Lead school-wide programming that promotes awareness and sensitivity to diversity issues, such as Brebeuf’s long-standing Diversity Dialogues program.
- Serve as a resource and liaison for the various diversity- and inclusion-related groups in the school, such as student affinity groups, and their faculty/staff moderators.
- Partner with College Counseling staff to share postsecondary opportunities that meet the needs of our diverse students.
- Engage in all aspects of the life of the school – academic, religious, artistic, athletic, and other cocurriculars.
Community Outreach and Professional Engagement
- Work closely with the parent community of Brebeuf Jesuit to effectively invite and engage that community in opportunities to support the vision of equity & inclusion.
- Develop and maintain partnership relations with local entities which represent diverse communities. Work with our Communications office to publicize diversity-related events and opportunities at Brebeuf.
- Participate in professional networks such as the Jesuit School Network, Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and the Indianapolis-Area Private School Diversity Consortium.
As well as, additional duties which may be assigned in order to best advance the goals of the school and the success of our students, faculty, staff, and families.
Skills and Qualities Sought
- Demonstrated leadership of inclusive teaching practices
- Communicates effectively with all constituents orally and by written expression
- Exhibits a team-oriented attitude of service as well as ability to motivate others
- Acts as a well-organized, effective planner
- Collaborates and works effectively with families, faculty and staff
- Reflects strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Analyzes needs and sets priorities while working in a proactive style
- Performs work with a constant awareness of improving processes necessary for positive growth
- Adheres to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity and maturity
- Acts as a personal example of those attributes to which we call our students (the “Grad at Grad”): open to growth, intellectually competent, loving, religious, and committed to promoting justice
Educational and Professional Experience Sought
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred
- Experience with leading institutional initiatives for equity & inclusion
- Classroom experience and Indiana teaching licensure preferred
- Experience with Jesuit education preferred
- Or combination of equivalent experience, education, and training.
Please note that review of applicant materials will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis.
Instructions for Applying
Brebeuf Jesuit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BREBEUF JESUIT MISSION STATEMENT
Brebeuf Jesuit, a Catholic and Jesuit school, provides an excellent college preparatory education for a lifetime of service by forming leaders who are intellectually competent, open to growth, loving, religious and committed to promoting justice. Fostering a culture of understanding and dialogue, Brebeuf Jesuit seeks and welcomes students from diverse religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Students at Brebeuf Jesuit are called to discover and cultivate the fullness of their God-given talents as a responsibility and as an act of worship.
Brebeuf at a glance
Click the link below to download a packet and learn more about employment at Brebeuf Jesuit